Friday, July 6, 2012

They dont make things the same: dresser redo

They just don't make things like they used too!

This is the dilemma I was dealing with when deciding what to do about my son's dresser.  I bought this dresser from a thrift store when I was pregnant with my now 7 year old daughter for $20.  It worked great for her with a changing pad on top.  It sure needed a facelift though.  My daughter got new girly furniture so this was handed down to my son's room when we were expecting him.  Just recently (he is 3 now) I couldn't stand it anymore.  I also knew that most things I would buy at Art Van or similar stores just would not hold up to an active 3 year old boy as most things are not very well made anymore.  The dresser we have is a SOLID piece and very well made so I knew my best option was trying to redo it first.

I knew as with most projects this idea wasn't going away so I thought and thought about how to redo it.  He has a natural wood rusticy type headboard so going all the way black wasnt' an option.  I bought some paint and sanding blocks and got to work.  It had some nice designs in it that I was able to bring out by painting them black and leaving it "trimmed" in the natural wood color to still match his bed. When I went to find 7" handles at home depot and lowes and ace they were special order for $30 a piece.  Not in my budget at that point I might as well buy something new.  So I enlisted hubby to drill two more holes and do two handles and all the handles and 3 knobs together cost about $34.

Again bad at before pictures but here is the best one I could find (I guess I never think it is going to turn out good enough to warrant a "before" picture and I am always too excited to get started and see the after)

Just a small section of the before but it all looked like this.  The top was the worst, had lots of scratches and some water damage I was able to sand off :)




Total cost paint $10 new handles $34 from lowes. 



I am very happy with the outcome of his dresser.  I was nervous until I added the handles, but I think they spiced it up so the total package turned out pretty well! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment